Landing in Canada - one journey ends, the next begins.
Aterrizando en Canada - un viaje se termina, el proximo empieza.
Atterrissant a Canada. Un voyage se termine, le prochain commence.

May 28, 2018. Every day for the past week, I had been organizing, packing, and cleaning out my belongings in New York, USA. For the past 3 days I had been almost done with the packing and cleaning out of my apartment, except for a few things here and there. A few hours would pass each time I started tackling one of the "few things" left. But moving day had come at last. I had to check among the remaining items the last that needed to be packed into my bags and the rest to give away.

Deciding what were absolute necessities I could not do without and finding good homes for the rest was quite a task. When I had moved to New York City 9 years ago, I had planned to settle down and spend the rest of my life here. I loved the excitement and opportunities of the big city, as well as the diverse population and good transit system. I had stockpiled many good bargains over the years to last me through natural disasters and the multiple upcoming decades that I had thought I would spend in New York.

However, my life took a 180 degree turn late on November 8, 2016. It had been a harrowing presidential election season in the US, with Donald Trump, the angry and mean Republican candidate turned Republican nominee, making increasingly scathingly racist and sexist remarks nearly daily. As a non-white immigrant to the US myself who had been brought to the US as a toddler and spent my life in the US, I felt personally insulted by Trump's consistent history of anti-Latino, anti-Muslim, anti-Black, anti-immigrant, and sexist remarks. One night in October 2016, I had even had a nightmare that it was election day already and I had woken up after a long sleep and forgotten to vote, and Trump was winning. I prayed that my nightmare would not come true. On November 8, 2016, I could not keep my eyes off the news coverage. The race was close for a while, but as midnight approached, a Trump victory was becoming more and more clear. With each additional battleground state going to Trump, I felt a growing sense of panic. Eventually it became apparent that Trump would win. I felt very sick to the stomach and could not stop crying. I felt devastated and betrayed. The US, my home country, the only country I had ever known, elected a blatantly racist and sexist white supremacist. I had to move out of the US. I no longer belonged here.

Fast forward to May 28, 2018. My application for Canadian permanent residence had been approved, I was in the process of selling my real estate, and I finally pared down my possessions to only the bare necessities and prayed that they would fit into the pickup truck of someone I had meet a couple weeks ago who had been planning to drive to Canada to take care of some business and had agreed to a ride share. Our plan was to leave New York around midnight and arrive in the morning, before any Memorial Day traffic and crossing the border during normal business hours for hopefully a smooth landing. In early April, I had received my Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR), and my final step to becoming a Canadian permanent resident was to present the COPR and my passport at the Canadian border, where the immigration officers would ask me a few questions, process paperwork, sign my COPR, and apply for my permanent resident card in a process called "landing."

I had 2 hours to nap and tried to get some rest before the overnight road trip. But I was too antsy to sleep for more than an hour and only rather lightly. I got up and ate the substantial amount of food left in the fridge for energy for the trip. Then I starting bringing my belongings down to the lobby and then the pickup truck. It was a somewhat tight fit, but all of my stuff fit. Whew! It was time to leave.

We departed the city around 12:30 AM and were soon on dark roads going through wilderness with virtually no street lights. Monroe, Goshen, Middletown, Liberty, Deposit, Binghamton, Johnson City, Elmira, Horseheads, Corning. We were passing through some of many small towns I had heard of and driven through on previous road trips. Around 2 AM I started to get sleepy and dozed off a bit. Fortunately the ride share person knew the route well and had driven it many times before. I was reminded of previous road trips and camping trips I had taken in the past. The wilderness and small towns are quaint and peaceful to vacation in, but I could not live in such environments. I need to be in a big city, although the noise and extreme crowds of New York had been getting on my nerves in recent years. I now felt I was on a nice little excursion into the wilderness, on my way to my new life in Canada and Toronto, a large city that was not as extremely crowded and noisy as New York, in other words, the right size for me. I also looked forward to visiting the diverse wilderness in Canada in the coming years.

We passed by quite a few houses with US flags on display. USA, my home country in which I was no longer welcome. I was looking forward to seeing the Canadian flag. We knew that the majority of people in these neighborhoods were Trump supporters.

Soon the sun started rising and we could feel the heat coming. A hot day was coming. We came up on Smokin' Joe's, a gas station I had remembered a number of years ago as having good gas prices, and filled up.

Very soon, we reached the Canadian border on the Queenston Lewiston Bridge. There were 4 cars ahead of us in line at the booth. As I reached for my passport and COPR and the required Forms BSF 186 and BSF 186a inventorying all goods that I was bringing into Canada, I could hear and feel my heart beating. The moment was finally coming. I was finally going to become a Canadian permanent resident.

When our turn came, my rideshare driver handed over his US passport, and I handed over my passport and COPR and said I was landing for the first time as a permanent resident. The agent us a number of questions: where we were coming from, how much money we had on us, if we were bringing any drugs or alcohol, how we knew each other, our occupations, whether all the items inside the truck were mine, whether I would be bringing any more goods other than an overnight bag at a later time, and how long the driver planned to stay in Canada. Then the agent returned our passports and my COPR and a yellow slip of paper and directed us to go inside the office.

After I handed my passport, COPR, yellow slip, and inventory of goods to an agent behind the desk inside, we were told that the agent doing landings was on the phone and were told to go sit down. In the seating area, I saw some students with student visas. At one point, an immigration officer asked to see my rideshare driver's passport. After a little under 15 minutes, the immigration officer processing the landing gave me my inventory of goods and told me to go to the cashier's window at the other end of the room to get a receipt. After bringing back my inventory of goods and receipt, I was told to have a seat again. Five minutes later, the immigration officer told me to come back up and asked me if I had a Canadian address. When I told her I did, she had me write it on the IRCC Copy of my COPR. Then she had me write answers and initial under the questions "Charged/convicted of a crime or offence in any country, refused admission to Canada or required to leave Canada?" and "Have you any dependents other than those listed below?" on both copies of the COPR and sign and date at the bottom. The immigration officer signed on the Immigration Officer line, stamped my passport, and stapled my copy of the COPR to my passport and folded it up. The immigration officer said that as a permanent resident, I am required to live in Canada for at least 2 out of every 5 years. She gave me a "Welcome to Canada" book and said "Congratulations!" I asked if I should apply for a PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document) if I needed to travel before receiving my PR (permanent resident) card. She said no, that my US passport and COPR provide proof of my status as a permanent resident, although sometimes airlines want to see a PR's PR card. This immigration officer was friendly throughout the transaction, which made for a much more pleasant experience than I normally have when interacting with government employees in the US.

So, I was finally a Canadian permanent resident now! Back in the car, the rideshare driver expressed relief that the process did not take too long and nobody searched through my stuff in the back. I was happy about the smooth landing as well, but I also felt elation at getting my permanent residence and looked at the signed COPR and stamp in my passport. Understandably the rideshare driver had been bored and was glad to move on. I thought to myself, only an immigrant could understand being excited about landing!

And now I was finally in Canada, my new adopted home country to be. I noticed quickly that numbers on the road signs got big as the units of distance changed to kilometers from miles. We passed by some expansive views of Lake Ontario. And we passed a number of Canadian flags.

We hit traffic, and the temperatures were getting hotter. My new roommate to be had warned me about avoiding the ETR (Easy Toll Routes) that can really pile on the tolls. Now let's arrive safely at my new place in Toronto.

And we did.

One journey ends, another begins!




28 mayo 2018. Había estado arreglando mis cosas todos los días por una semana en Nueva York, EE.UU. Por los 3 días pasados casi terminaba de hacer las maletas, salvo un poco de cosas. Cada vez que arreglaba una de las varias cosas me ha pasado varias horas. Pero se ha venido el día de mudarme. Tuve que probar los restos y meter los necesarios en mis maletas y regalar los restos.

Fue una lata decidir cuales cosas necesitaría y encontrar buenas casas para los restos. Cuando me había mudado a Nueva York hace 9 años, había pensado establecerme y vivir allí por mi vida. Me gustó mucho la animación y las oportunidades de la ciudad grande y la población diversa y el transporte bueno. Acumulé muchas gangas con los años por los desastres naturales y los decenios siguiente.

Pero mi vida se cambió completamente muy tarde en el día del 8 noviembre 2016. La elección presidencial había estado muy desgarradora en los EE.UU. Donald Trump, un matón muy malo que empezó como un candidato republicano y entonces el nominado republicano, hacía comentario cada vez más racista y sexista casi todos los días. Como un inmigrante no blanco que se llevó a los EE.UU. cuando era un bebé y crecí el los EE.UU., yo mismo me sentí muy ofendido de los insultos de Trump contra los latinos, musulmanes, negros, inmigrantes, y las mujeres. Una noche en octubre 2016, tuve una pesadilla donde Trump ganó la presidencia. Esperé que mi pesadilla no se cumpliera. En el 8 noviembre 2016, no podía dejar de leer las noticias. Al principio, la carrera fue reñida, pero cerca de la medianoche, se volvió claro que Trump iría a ganar. Me empecé a sentir pánico con cada estado que Trump ganó. Tuve mucho dolor de estomago y no pude dejar de llorar. Me sentí desolado y engañado. Los EE.UU., mi patria, eligió un racista y sexista supremacista blanco. Tuve que mudarme de los EE.UU. No me pertenecí aquí.

28 mayo 2018. Se había aprobado mi solicitud de residencia permanente de Canadá, estaba vendiendo mi inmobiliario, y finalmente reduje mis cosas a solo las necesidades. Esperé que todas mis cosas podrían caberse en una camioneta. Había conocido alguien con una camioneta quien tuvo que conducir a Canadá por un negocio y acordó a compartir el viaje conmigo. Planeamos salir de Nueva York alrededor de la medianoche y llegar a Canadá en la mañana y esperar a aterrizar sin problemas. Recibí mi Confirmación de Residencia Permanente (COPR) en el principio de abril. Mi ultimo paso de devenir un residente permanente de Canadá fue un proceso llamado "aterrizando." En la frontera, tendría que presentar mi pasaporte y COPR y los agentes me preguntarían varias preguntas, procesar varios papeleos, firmar mi COPR, y solicitar mi carta de residencia permanente.

Tuve 2 horas por hacer una siesta antes de viaje durante la noche. Pero me puse nervioso y pude dormir solo un poco. Me levanté y comí mucha comida para tener energía para el viaje. Llevé mis maletas abajo y entonces a la camioneta. Fue un poco difícil, pero todas mis cosas se cupieron en la camioneta. Bueno. Fue la hora de salir.

Salimos de la ciudad a las 12:30 AM y llegamos a la naturaleza en la oscuridad pronto. Conducimos por varios pueblos pequeños que conocí de viajes anteriores. Me sentí somnoliento alrededor de las 2 AM y dormí un poquito. Afortunadamente el conductor conoció el viaje muy bien. Recordé viajes por carretera y la acampada anteriores. La naturaleza es muy tranquila y buena para una vacación, pero no podría vivir en la naturaleza o los pueblos pequeños. Tengo que vivir en una ciudad grande, pero me molestan el ruido y la multitud grande de gente en Nueva York. Me sentí que hiciera un viaje pequeño en la naturaleza de camino a mi vida nueva en Canadá y Toronto, una ciudad no tan ruidosa o llena con gente como Nueva York, el tamaño bueno para mi. También tuve muchas ganas de visitar la naturaleza en Canadá en los años que vienen.

Pasamos muchas casas con bandera de los EE.UU. Pero los EE.UU. ahora fue mi patria donde ya no estuve bienvenido. Tuve muchas ganas de ver la bandera de Canadá. Sabemos que la mayoría de gente en estos barrios apoyan Trump.

La salida del sol llegó pronto y ya hizo calor. Llegamos a Smokin' Joe's, una estación de servicio con gasolina relativamente barata y que recordé de antes. Llenamos la gasolina.

Llegamos a la frontera de Canadá muy pronto en el puente Queenston Lewiston. Hubo 4 coches adelante de nosotros en la cola. Al llevar mi pasaporte y COPR y los formularios BSF 186 y BSF 186a del inventario de las cosas que llevaba a Canadá, oí y sentí mi latido del corazón. Finalmente llegaba el momento de volverme un residente permanente.

Cuando llegó nuestro turno, el conductor presentó su pasaporte de los EE.UU. y yo presenté mi pasaporte y COPR. Dije que estaba aterrizando por la primera vez como un residente permanente. El agente nos preguntó varias preguntas, como de donde fuimos, cuanto dinero traíamos, si traíamos drogas o alcohol, cómo nos conocimos, nuestras profesiónes, si todas las cosas adentro de la camioneta fueron los míos, si yo traería más cosas de una maleta más tarde, y cuanto tiempo el conductor planeó quedarse en Canadá. Entonces el agente nos devolvió nuestros pasaportes y mi COPR y un papel amarillo y nos dijo ir a la oficina.

Después de presentar mi pasaporte, COPR, papel amarillo, y inventario de cosas, un agente nos dijo sentarnos. Vi algunos estudiantes con visas para estudiar. Después de menos de 15 minutos, la agente de inmigración procesando mi aterrizando me dijo ir al cajero para un recibo de mi inventario de cosas. Después, me dijo sentarme otra vez. Después de 5 minutos, la agente de inmigración me preguntó si tengo una dirección en Canadá. Respondí sí, y me dijo escribir mi dirección en la copia de mi COPR para IRCC. Entonces me dijo escribir respuestas de las preguntas "Cargado/declarado culpable de un crimen o delito en algún país, denegado admisión a Canadá o requerido dejar Canadá?" y "Tiene algunas persona a cargo de otra aparte de las enumeradas más abajo?" y mis iniciales en ambas copias de mi COPR y firmar abajo. La agente de inmigración firmó mi COPR, selló mi pasaporte, y grapé mi copia de mi COPR a mi pasaporte. La agente dijo que como residente permanente, debo vivir en Canadá al menos de 2 de cada 5 años. Me dio un libro se llama "Bienvenido a Canadá" y dijo "felicitaciones". Pregunté si necesitaría un PRTD (documento de viajar del residente permanente) si necesito viajar antes de recibir mi carta de residencia permanente. Me dijo no, mi pasaporte de los EE.UU. y COPR son prueba de mi estado como residente permanente, aunque a veces las aerolíneas demandan la carta de residencia permanente. La agente de inmigración fue amable, no como la mayoría de los empleados del gobierno de los EE.UU.

Finalmente fue un residente permanente de Canadá ahora! Fue bueno que el proceso no tomó mucho tiempo y nadie examinó mis muchas cosas en la camioneta. Yo estaba feliz del proceso eficaz pero también me sentí feliz de mi residencia permanente y miraba mi COPR y el sello en mi pasaporte. Comprensiblemente el conductor se aburría. Solo un inmigrante entendería y se sentiría feliz del aterrizando.

Y finalmente estaba en Canadá, mi país nuevo. Nos encontramos tráfico y hizo calor. Llegamos sano y salvo a mi apartamento nuevo.

Un viaje termina, el otro empieza!





28 mai 2018. J'organisais mes choses tous les jours durant la dernière semaine a New York, États-Unis. Durant les 3 derniers jours j'ai presque fini de faire mes bagages, sauf un peu de choses. Chaque fois que j'ai organisé mes choses le temps a volé. Mais le jour de déménager est arrivé. J'ai eu besoin de vérifier mes choses et mettre les nécessaires en mes bagages et faire cadeau du restants.

Ahh je suis désolé! Je parle trop mal le français et je ne peux pas continuer cet histoire en français en ce moment. J'ai besoin d'étudier plus. Je vais écrire plus tard.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guide to TD Bank
Guía a TD Bank
Guide au TD Bank

Tips for your First Days in Canada
Consejos para tus Primeros Días en Canadá
Conseils pour tes premiers jours au Canada

Tax guide for US citizens living in Canada
Guía de impuestos para los estadounidenses que viven en Canada
Guide des impôts pour les Américains qui habitent au Canada