July 4
El 4 de julio
Le 4 juillet

Today is July 4, Independence Day in the US. I received some Happy July 4 greetings from some American friends. Some people in a US expatriates group I'm in have mentioned feeling patriotic and are proud Americans who say the US is still home for them. On the other hand, these days I feel a bit turned off, even a twinge of pain, when I see a US flag, but I get excited and feel pride as well as a lot of gratitude when I see a Canadian flag. This past Sunday, July 1, we had Canada Day here, Canada's Independence day. There were fireworks and celebrations, like the ones that normally happen on July 4 in the US. I felt a sense of excitement and pride that I don't think I had ever felt in the US. Maybe I am learning how it feels to be patriotic. Even I am surprised about the emotions I have been feeling. I'm just starting my journey to becoming Canadian, and I am already turning into a proud Canadian?

Maybe I have been a Trump refugee for longer than I had thought. I am a member of a visible minority group, and I am unconventional in my views and personality type; unfortunately that is the perfect recipe for being out of place in the US, especially in this era of Trump. I am reminded of more than one incident in the US in recent years when I was walking down the street and someone yelled at me to go back to my country.

More unfortunately, I am embarrassed to be part of a citizenry that elected as president someone so crudely racist and sexist as Donald Trump. The Trump supporters were swayed by his empty promises to make America great again and thought that immigrants and racial minorities were making America not so great. And for many more years, I have been embarrassed to be part of a country that thinks it is superior and has needlessly waged wars and committed war-related atrocities in recent decades.

Unfortunately I also made a number of mistakes in my life in the US that came to haunt me in recent years. When I am reminded of the US, I am also reminded of mistakes I have made and pain I have suffered. I am very grateful for this much needed opportunity to start over in a friendlier environment in Canada.

I had not realized how valuable diversity was until racism and sexism were brought out into the open with Trump's presidential campaign and election. Racism will never go away completely. I know that Canada has its white supremacists, although thankfully I have not met any of them yet. But even though there are white supremacists here in Canada, they are fewer in number, less vocal, and not something to take personally or fret about because there are also so many people of color here. With close to 50% of the population in big cities like Toronto and Vancouver being foreign born and the majority of people being polite if not friendly, I don't feel out of place at all and feel more welcome.

To those of you on the streets who yelled at me to go back to my country a few years ago, it took a while, but I finally followed your command, at least physically, and am better off for it. I am now in my new adopted country of choice.

But I have not and will never be able to leave the US completely. My US background will forever be a part of who I am. Somewhere hidden inside me, the US will always be home, even if it is a home in which I am no longer welcome. I will not forget that one reason I am here in Canada is to learn the Canadian system well and propose some hopefully workable ideas for reform in the US.

I will end this post with this link to a nice video about Canada that someone recently shared with me.




Hoy es el 4 de julio, el Día de la Independencia en los Estados Unidos. Recibí varios saludos de varios amigos estadounidenses. Algunas personas en un grupo de expatriados estadounidenses se sienten patrióticos y son estadounidenses orgullosos que dicen que los EE.UU. es su hogar. Por otro lado, estos días me siento desanimado y a veces un poco triste cuando veo la bandera de los EE.UU., pero me siento animado y orgulloso cuando veo la bandera de Canadá. El domingo pasado, el 1 de julio, fue el Día de Canadá, el Día de la Independencia en Canadá. Hubo los fuegos artificiales y celebraciones como los de los EE.UU. en el 4 de julio. Me sentí emocionado y orgulloso como nunca. Tal vez me vuelva patriótico. Me lleva una sorpresa. Empiezo a devenir canadiense y ya me vuelvo a un canadiense con orgullo?

Tal vez haya sido un refugio de Trump hace mas tiempo que había pensado. Soy una minoría visible y soy poco convencional; desafortunadamente me hace fuera de lugar, especialmente en la era de Trump. Mas de una vez cuando caminaba por las calles en los EE.UU. alguien me gritó "Regresa a tu país."

Más desafortunadamente estoy avergonzado estar parte de los ciudadanos que eligieron a un presidente tan groseramente racista y sexista como Donald Trump. La gente creyeron a Trump cuando dijo que fuera hacer los EE.UU. gran otra vez y pensaron que los inmigrantes y minoría hacen los EE.UU. mal. Por mucho años, estaba avergonzado de estar parte de un país que hacía guerras innecesariamente y hacía atrocidades de guerra también.

Desafortunadamente he hecho varios errores en mi vida en los EE.UU. con malas consecuencias para mí. Cuando pienso de los EE.UU., me recuerdo mis errores y sufrimientos. Agradezco por esta oportunidad que necesito mucho para empezar de nuevo en el entorno amable en Canadá.

No había realizado tan valiosa es la diversidad hasta la gente estaba abiertamente racista y sexista por la campaña y elección de Trump. Nunca se van a erradicar el racismo o sexismo. Sé que hay defensores de la supremacía blanca en Canadá, aunque afortunadamente todavía no los he conocido. Pero hay menos defensores de la supremacía blanca en Canadá que en los EE.UU. y ellos no son tan explícitos ni peligrosos porque hay muchos minorías en Canadá. Casi 50% de las poblaciones de las ciudades grandes como Toronto y Vancouver son inmigrantes y la mayoría de la gente es educada y respetuosa, así que no me siento fuera de lugar y me siento mas bienvenido.

A la gente que me gritó "Regresa a tu país": me ha pasado tiempo, pero finalmente he seguido tu orden, por lo menos físicamente, y estoy mejor por eso. Ahora estoy en mi nuevo país elegido.

Pero no he dejado y nunca podré dejar de los EE.UU. completamente. Mi origen estadounidense siempre será un parte integral de mí. Siempre será un hogar secreto para mí, aunque un hogar donde ya no estoy bienvenido. Nunca me olvidaré que una de mis metas aquí es aprender bien el sistema canadiense y proponer ideas de la reforma en los EE.UU.

Termino este post con un enlace a este video de Canadá que alguien compartió conmigo recientemente.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guide to TD Bank
Guía a TD Bank
Guide au TD Bank

Tips for your First Days in Canada
Consejos para tus Primeros Días en Canadá
Conseils pour tes premiers jours au Canada

Tax guide for US citizens living in Canada
Guía de impuestos para los estadounidenses que viven en Canada
Guide des impôts pour les Américains qui habitent au Canada